- High yielding two-row
- Consistent across the last 5 years of trials
- Large grain – very low screenings
- Medium length, stiff straw
- Good disease resistance
- BaYMV resistant (strain 1)
A Saffron X Retriever cross, KWS Tower combines the bold grain of the former, with the vigour and tillering capacity of the latter. It has medium length straw and is slightly taller than KWS Glacier but has a better rating for straw strength.
This longer straw – a characteristic which tends to impart better drought resistance in barleys – may help explain its strong light land performance, where, in RL trials it is joint highest yielding two-row. Drill it in September, allow it to produce a high number of tillers in autumn and it will pile on the yield in the spring.
Data Source: AHDB Recommended List, Winter barley 2016/17
*Resistant to BaYMV strain 1
- KWS Tower update 22.4 [pdf | 0.4 MB] pdf Download